While most parents are probably aware that the FPG playground was in need of major renovations even before hurricanes Florence and Michael flooded it, many parents may not be aware of exactly how dire the situation is now. Please read on to learn about the current playground status, what YOU can do to help, and our renovation plans.
Last updated: November 2, 2018
Over the past several years, the PTA collaborated with faculty, staff, and a nonprofit consultant, Lands and Waters, to identify the unmet needs of our students, analyze the challenges posed by our playground site, and develop a comprehensive renovation plan. The full plan encompasses the entire playground site, includes numerous individual projects, and is expected to span 4-5 years. View the comprehensive plan here.
Phase 1 Timeline: 2018-2019
Estimated cost: $210,000, to be raised from grants, donations, and—possibly—petitions to the school district.
Phase 2 Timeline: 2019-2021
Estimated cost: $220,000, to be raised from grants, donations, and—possibly—petitions to the school district.
Itemized list of planned improvements:
- Refurbish basketball, foursquare, and K-2 court surfaces and accessories
- Replace old K-2 play structures with new structures on higher ground
- Replace old 3-5 play structures with new structures on higher ground
- Develop outdoor learning spaces
- Complete stream buffer plantings, continue to improve drainage
- Plant shade trees
- Provide 110 electrical service to the playground