FPGB is home to 21 international teachers in the CHCCS school district. As a whole, our staff represents 10 countries (Spain, Mexico, El Salvador, Chile, Argentina, Puerto Rico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Dominican, and Bolivia). Our international teachers are highly revered in their home countries and, after a rigorous application process, they are selected to live and work in the United States for up to 5 years. Their presence in our school brings cultural richness, high quality instruction, and further diversifies our community, positively impacting the lives of students and families alike.
The goal of the International Teacher Support Team (ITST) is to insure that these teachers are welcomed and supported when they arrive in Chapel Hill! In its first year, ITST successfully assisted 3 teachers by offering both community and household support. This allowed them to spend the majority of their time focusing on educating students rather than worrying about the logistics of settling into a new country.
As a community here is how you can help
Buy or donate household items to help furnish apartments
Transport furniture between storage locations and apartments
Make a donation specifically to the ITST to support the committee costs
Volunteer to work on the community resource booklet, or to help as needed
Become a Partner Family for a new international teacher this fall.
Interested in Becoming a Partner Family?
PARTNER FAMILY REQUIREMENTS
All Partner Families must be able to commit to ALL of the following tasks, although not every teacher will need this level of support with all of the tasks
- Meet teacher on designated arrival day
- Be available to help with transportation for a 1 – 2 week period or until transportation is secured
- Assist with setting up utilities, DMV, and general community orientation
- Be ‘on call’ in order to meet the needs of newly arrived teachers as they arise
- Some teachers might need a family to host a teacher in their home until housing is secured
Hosting a teacher in your home will include the above requirements, AND:
- Have a bed in a room with a closing door available for the teacher
- Provide the teacher with bedding, linens, bathroom and kitchen access while they are a guest
- Complete a ITST Host Family Interest Form so that incoming teachers can be best matched with host families