In 2018 we made strides toward playground improvements―we drafted a comprehensive plan, began raising money, installed a drinking fountain, and purchased sports equipment. On the other hand, hurricanes Florence and Michael created new problems that made the playground unusable for much of the fall. Because the playground sits in the flood plain, this kind of disaster is likely to repeat. The playground is so critical for the social and physical development of our children that the FPG PTA is making it the focus of our 2018 End of Year Giving Campaign. We are raising money both to replace the aging and damaged structures and to implement environmental improvements so that the playground will recover faster from future flood events like this one. This multi-year project will carry a total cost of over $400,000 ―to be raised from a combination of grants, sponsorships, and donations. To help us get off to the best possible start in 2019, we are setting an ambitious donation goal this holiday season:
Our goal is to raise $100,000 by the end of 2018
Reaching our $100,000 goal will enable the following playground improvements in 2019:
- Install new play features to replace the aging K-2 structure
- Reroute the walking track
- Address the drainage and erosion issues that plague the entire playground
- Provide seating for outdoor instruction
- Condition the grass playing/soccer fields to enable easier maintenance
Reaching that goal will not be easy – it will require families to raise an average of $150 per student. Please give more or less, according to your family’s ability. No gift is too large or too small!
Thank you from all of the teachers, parents, and children at FPG elementary!
There are many ways to give.
- Use the Donate Once button to make a one-time donation through our GoFundMe Playground Campaign.
- Use the Donate Monthly button to sign up for automatic monthly donations through our Paypal account.
- If you prefer to donate by cash or check, mail your donation to 101 Smith Level Road Chapel Hill, NC 27516, ATTN: Frank Porter Graham PTA. Make checks payable to FPG PTA and write ‘playground’ in the memo line.